Cerasi Chapel

All Titles

  • Cerasi Chapel
  • Santa Maria del Popolo: Cerasi Chapel
  • View: Partial view looking towards altar

Dublin Core

Title

Cerasi Chapel
Santa Maria del Popolo: Cerasi Chapel
View: Partial view looking towards altar

Subject

New Testament; saints; Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint; Paul, the Apostle, Saint; Peter, the Apostle, Saint

Description

The Cerasi Chapel (Capella Cerasi) is one of five chapels located within the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo in Rome. It contains important paintings by Caravaggio and Annibale Carracci, two of the founders of Baroque art, all dating from 1600 or 1601. The chapel was purchased in July 1600 by Monsignor Tiberio Cerasi, Consistorial Advocate and Treasurer-General to Pope Clement VIII. Cerasi commissioned Carracci and Caravaggio, to provide an altarpiece of The Assumption of Mary (Carracci) and The Conversion of Saint Paul on the Road to Damascus and The Crucifixion of Saint Peter (Caravaggio) for the two side walls. The Saint Paul and Saint Peter honored the two Apostles central to the Catholic Church, as well as the popular Counter-Reformation themes of conversion and martydom. Caravaggio's dramatically lit and foreshortened Peter and Paul, intended to be viewed from the side rather than straight-on, draw the eye to Carracci's frontally-presented Assumption, so that the chapel is aesthetically united despite the very different styles of the two artists.

Creator

Baccio Pontelli (Italian architect, ca.1450-after 1492); Donato Bramante (Italian architect, 1444-1514)

Source

Description: Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Date

decorated 1600-1601 (alteration); structure 1472-1477 (creation)

Contributor

Fredlund, William

Rights

William Fredlund

Relation

part of Santa Maria del Popolo

Format

marble; stone; stucco

Type

chapel (room or structure)

Identifier

cara040x.jpg

Coverage

Santa Maria del Popolo (Rome, Lazio, Italy); Piazza del Popolo
Renaissance

Files

Citation

Baccio Pontelli (Italian architect, ca.1450-after 1492); Donato Bramante (Italian architect, 1444-1514), “Cerasi Chapel,” Institute Images Online, accessed December 16, 2018, http://westerncivart.com/items/show/2810.

Geolocation

This item has no location info associated with it.